Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,
I went to our favorite sandwich shop, B&B or Gardner's Market, as everyone else calls it. Bill and Billy seem to be doing good, though there is talk of retirement in the next few years. Bill says they miss you there and your name comes up often. And yes, they still sell your favorite Lindt white chocolate truffles! I had a Muffuletta with a blackberry lemonade and they were as delicious as always! I won't wait another 6 years before going back. Since you weren't there to give me yours, I only had the one pickle. But one is better than none, I suppose.

The kids and I miss you terribly, but are very thankful for the time we spent together. Letting us care for you through your Alzheimer's and cancer was the greatest gift you ever gave us. You were always a very gentle, generous man and I am very lucky to be your daughter.

Happy Birthday, Dad!!
Love Always,
Your DD
(Darling Daughter, as you called me when you couldn't remember my name.)


P.S. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since I threw you an 80th b-day surprise party at Cooker's... seems like yesterday. It's one of the many wonderful memories I'll always cherish...especially since you gave me that "oh, you got me good, missy" look! (See below)


















Commander R. Glenn Morton
April 28, 1920 - June 24, 2004



Our last Christmas together, 2003

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing person. I am glad I was there to witness the unconditional love and selflessness that is you. You balked at the notion of anyone else caring for him. Taking care of your babies and your dad all alone...Truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just earned yourself the biggest hug, EVER!

    ReplyDelete